October 07, 2005

We missed the bus

On my husband's one day off a week, we often plan to do something. Normally we go on touristic ventures and visit places we've never been to. Here in Istanbul, there's quite a lot of places to visit and it takes us forever to finish our "to see" list. This week, we planned to go to Rumeli Hisari. This is a fortress built in 1452 by Sultan Mehmet II. If you've watched Lord of The Rings, it looks like Helm's Deep with a view of the Bosphorus.

Being the backpacker that I am, I suggested to my husband that we take the bus to go there or the ferry for more adventure. The thing is, husband dearie is the total opposite of me when it comes to being "tourists". Comfort is always first in his list. He'd rather take the cab or taxi to get there so he can sit comfortably and we arrive faster. As for me, I don't find any excitement in taking a cab to get to a new place. I find excitement in finding out which transportation to take and figuring out how to get there with my limited knowledge of Turkish. For me, it's not just the place but the whole package.Now, I see how different we view things when it comes to this. He'd rather not waste his time getting lost in transit because the goal is to see Rumeli Hisari in the first place. As for me, I consider the means as part of the end!Oh well, seeing that I can take the bus on my own anytime anyway, I reluctantly agreed to do the 15 milyon cab ride from our place to Rumeli Hisari. Sure we got there faster and easier but the fortress is closed on the day we went. It's open everyday except for one day which is Wednesday and this is the day we chose to go. Obviously my other half was the one in charge of logistics and he said he did his part and checked on the net. Only thing is, he check on a site that is not updated!
Since it was also the start of Ramadan or Ramazan as they call it here, most of the shops and restaurants are closed. We then decided to go for a long walk until we reach the ferry terminal and catch a ride going back to our place by ferry. It was a romantic sidewalk journey with the cool breeze of fall and the occasional dodging of speeding vehicles on the street. To capture the

moment, I took some pictures along the way. So, we missed the bus, took a cab ride and ended up walking to the ferry terminal. What happened when we arrived at the terminal? We missed the ferry and it was the one and only ferry to take. For the second time, I reluctantly agreed to take the cab home with my husband. In the near future, we will have this Rumeli Hisari visit complete with the bus ride!

Posted by duke at 10/07/2005 01:15:00 PM



17 Comments:

Blogger Gayzha said...

Hello Princess Duke, pareho pala tayo.. i am very adventurous and i want it the hard way as well... you will always remember a place when u experience it with all your senses... I have some Turkish friends before and I even learned how to say some words...like "sevi seviurum..." spelling not correct... they are really very friendly and down to earth people... have fun! u got a new camera??

10/07/2005 04:12:00 PM  

Blogger duke said...

hi jhaya!
exactly my sentiments! I like the whole experience from going there to getting there. I like the adventure kaya nga one of my dream is to be a contestant of the Amazing Race kaso pang american citizens lang sha!
I don't know a lot of turkish words. Puro numbers para kunwari marunong akong tumawad at magbayad! hihihi

One day I woke up and turned on the cam that fell into the pool and it was working perfectly. I have no idea why. So I missed that chance to buy a new camera! tsk tsk tsk...

10/07/2005 04:38:00 PM  

Blogger JO said...

hi duke,

i would probably take the bus route too, that is, if its just me and hubby. we both love sightseeing. the one thing we are really compatible with. :-)

but with kids, i would prefer the comfort ride, meaning car or taxi.

happy weekend!

10/07/2005 07:53:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no! This is getting really really weird for me. I just posted my new entry about Hong Kong & eventually this entry sounded as if so identical.What is going on? hehehehe.

There's always a reason for everything. At least you took fotoz of these beautiful place. In HK you'll never miss anything here even if you walk around town.

Have a great outdoor!

10/07/2005 08:30:00 PM  

Blogger duke said...

hello Jo!

ahh of course with kids it would be safer and easier to take the cab! At least when it's just you and hubby you will agree on taking the bus! :D

10/08/2005 12:27:00 PM  

Blogger duke said...

K!

I know what you mean! I jsut went to your blog and found myself smiling :D

Husband and I have different views on certain things but we respect them and clink anyway. I agreed to take the cab,he agreed to walk with me hand in hand :D

10/08/2005 12:30:00 PM  

Blogger duke said...

hello my happily married friend!

True. I wouldn't miss that walk for anything :)

10/08/2005 12:31:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

mahilig din ako magcommute kapag nasa ibang bansa ako. feeling turista kasi :) i get to see a lot of things/sceneries kasi along the way di ba? i forgot to tell you nga pala, when i went to hong kong end of july, i was walking 10hrs a day. kabisado ko na nga ang hong kong *hehehe*

10/08/2005 03:25:00 PM  

Blogger Unknown said...

Up to now I still take the train because I live in the heart of Washington DC, mahirap ang parking dito sa city so it's not practical to own a car. Anyway, I have to say that your husband looks good in the picture, and the photos you posted tell me that you live in a wonderful/ beautiful place. Ramadan pala ngayon? My latest entry is religion related too...

MY REPLY TO YOUR COMMENT TO MY LAST ENTRY (dinala ko na rito *wink*)

This news really got me because it was in the front page of The Washington Post which I'm subscribed everyday, it talked about a Filipino who was accused of espionage and about the dirty politics in the country. On the page was a photo of the rallyists and the situation was getting out of hand. You know, I'm just a few blocks away from The White House. And the Philippines seldom get it on the front page of a national newspaper here.

Two Saturdays ago, there was a protest here in The Capitol by hundreds and thousands of rallyists (anti-war), it was a nationwide rally. They have the usual banners, straemers and placards, people walking around the Capitol shouting and chanting their concerns, there were even ladies who took off their shirsts shouting "Breasts not Bombs" (breast cancer org). But it was a peaceful rally because they didn't go beyond the rules and regulations, they didn't fight or put their hands on any of the guards or marshalls or police. How can we do that in our country? Is Martial Law needed to instill discipline among the people?

10/08/2005 09:39:00 PM  

Blogger Analyse said...

im the adventurous type too, luckily, frenchguy is more adventurous than i am, so most often, we agree with our outdoor manias...ikaw naman, isang araw na nga lang bakasyon ni hubby in a week, give him that comfort no, ride ka na lang hehe...and do that tourist thing when you're alone hehe...

like that 15 million cab ride! hehe, feeling millionaire talaga, wish i couls say the same one day haha..

10/10/2005 04:54:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pareho pala tayo na adventurous sa ganyan. Sa susunod dapat ikaw na in charge of logistics. Baka maloka hubby mo. Hehe

10/10/2005 07:44:00 PM  

Blogger duke said...

thesearemyconfessions- i can imagine how you probably know HK now that you've walked for 10 hours during your trip! iba yung feeling di ba? :D

teacher sol - It's true. Sometimes it's easier to commute esp when parking is a hassle. Yes. It's ramadan right now here kaya medyo quiet dito.

10/10/2005 11:07:00 PM  

Blogger duke said...

ana- yung nga naisip ko. Pagod na nga sa trabaho tapos pinipilit ko pa mag bus...hehehehe. It's good that your hubby is adventurous. kaya pala mega hiking kayo. I bet both of you love the great outdoors!

Shempre feeling milyones ang pera ko dito. 15 Million(lol)! tara go here and experience being a millionaire!

sunshine - kapag ako ang in charge of logistics, no comment si hubby. May pagka OC ako sa ganyan.Lahat may time frame and schedule kaya naloloka lalo siya! hehehehe

10/10/2005 11:12:00 PM  

Blogger dreaming-neko said...

you are such a great adventurer! :)

i aspire to roam this world again too... (that's why i work for the airlines)

10/11/2005 05:40:00 AM  

Blogger Owen said...

i admire your optimism on how you take surprises. i love reading your posts.

10/11/2005 06:03:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pareho tayo. I would have opted to take the bus as well (or the train, van, tram, tricycle :-), etc. -- depende where I am) en route to my desired destination. Kasi that's part nga of the package nga as you said. Maganda yung tipong do what the locals do, di ba. You learn that way kasi.

I like your blog. Glad to have discovered it through Pinoy Atbp.

P.S. Kamusta na pala ang visit mo sa public bath? Natuloy ba?

10/11/2005 09:41:00 PM  

Blogger duke said...

neko - I love adventure and teh great outdoors! :D

mr.pogi - true! spontaneity is good but it helps to have good logistics as well ;)

I think husband was scared to be lost in transit and lost in translation... hehehehe

hey Owen!

thanks for the kinds words. I try to see the glass half full now coz before I am the half empty looker ;D It pays off. Things look brighter!

jayred- nice to find you here in my blog! I haven't gone to a hamam yet! pano ba naman ang lamig bigla dito! parang di ko kaya humiga sa marble with the weather. Pero ... I promise I will do it soon!!!

10/11/2005 11:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Name:
Location: Istanbul, Türkiye

A first time mom to baby A living as an expat in Istanbul, Turkey.

My Indulgence

Recent Thoughts

My Daily Reads



Links and Infos

Counter
Web Site Counter



|