October 16, 2005

The Stork Has Arrived... with the H5N1 Virus

Last week, news came out that the deadly H5N1 virus found among birds has reached Turkey. Now, chicken and chicken eggs are scratched off my market list.I saw on CNN Turk the Prime Minister eating chicken with his cabinet members to prove that they are safe for consumption but then again, who would take the risk of buying them now? I know that most of the people who died from the bird flu had direct contact with the poultry but one can never be too complacent on these things.

Imagine how I felt when husband became very ill last week. He had high fever for three days. He did not want to eat any food. He has stomach cramps and sore throat. Then I hear on the news about the bird flu. It also did not help that my husband managed to make a lame joke that he probably has the avian disease (a very very bad joke!). I could not sleep properly the last couple of days until I finally was able to confirm with the doctor that it was not avian flu that was causing husband dear to be sick. After almost eight injections of antiobiotics, my other half got better. It turns our he had the flu combined with some viral thingamajig and swollen tonsils. I'm just glad he's better now and it wasn't THE flu.

On BBC, they reported that there might be a flu pandemic in the near future especially now that winter is around the corner. Oh my! What is happening to our world?I still dream of waking up to a clean, pollution less, and peaceful world. Well, maybe I am dreaming too much...

Now back to my marketlist. I don't eat lamb. Pork is not allowed here. Chicken is possibly cotaminated with the H5N1 virus. I am left with beef, fish, and vegetables. I can live with it but for the first time in my life, I feel sad knowing that a stork has arrived ---> carrying a deadly virus.


*Photo is a snippet from BBC News.

Posted by duke at 10/16/2005 09:05:00 PM



8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Duke, every time my husband leaves for a mission in Vietnam, I always expect the worse! Malay... Glad to know, your husband is already ok...

10/17/2005 04:52:00 AM  

Blogger duke said...

Alma- true! we just can't help but get worried.Somedays I do become a worry wart!

Nao- yes, it's the Avian Flu. I have this whole environmental theory about it but then again, it's just me and my musings. I just hope we won't a pandemic in the near future!

10/17/2005 11:22:00 AM  

Blogger Analyse said...

i thought about you nga when they said that after romania, dyan naman daw. yeah, better be careful et n'est pas tenter le diable, ika nga..ingatz lagi duke..

10/17/2005 12:29:00 PM  

Blogger duke said...

hi ana!

aaaw that's sweet of you to think about me here. Thanks! I hope they find an antivirus soon for this strain so we are not in the dark.

10/17/2005 01:06:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope your hubby gets well. Ingats kayo diyan.

10/17/2005 03:39:00 PM  

Blogger MrsPartyGirl said...

hi duke, akala ko kung anong stork na. i thought you were giving us baby news! anyway, im glad to hear your hubby's ok. i think our generation is bearing the brunt of our forefathers' environmental abuses. just take care, ok? and keep healthy :)

10/17/2005 09:10:00 PM  

Blogger duke said...

K-he's ok now. Thanks :D

meeya- hahahahaha! nagulat ka ba? No, I'm not pregnant :D I really feel sad thinking about the present situation of our environment. In a shallow way, I was thinking, I still want my children or grandchildren to know the taste of eggs and chicken ( just in case in a worst case scenario,we cannot consume them as food anymore). Hay naku! my imaginationis running wild again .. hehehehe. Thanks for the concern. Ditto.

10/18/2005 02:08:00 AM  

Blogger nikki said...

You're correct, the avian flu virus is transmitted only thru very close contact (it spreads thru droplets) with the infected animal and the infected human. Still, its very scary kasi how would you know na yung katabi mo pala eh may kamag-anak na infected ng bird flu di ba? Kaya nga mas maganda mag-ingat na lang.

Why don't you ask around for flu shots na lang for you & your hubby? Maganda na yung may vaccine kayo. ;-)

10/19/2005 04:50:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Name:
Location: Istanbul, Türkiye

A first time mom to baby A living as an expat in Istanbul, Turkey.

My Indulgence

Recent Thoughts

My Daily Reads



Links and Infos

Counter
Web Site Counter



|