December 31, 2005

The Last Hooorah!

Being the last day of the year, I can't help but look back what 2005 has brought me.

Here goes...

1. This year, I lived in three countries. The first few months in France, second in the Philippines and the then finally here in Istanbul.
2. I went back to school with my good friend, Tessa while I was in the Philippines. It was all because I miss my alma matter (and had nothing better to do). I found myself sitting in class re-learning my french and german during summer.
3. I spent two summers and two winters this year.
4. I realized how I value my family ( especially my parents) and miss them much.
5. I discovered the joy of blogging.
6. I reconnected with long lost friends both elementary and highschool.
7. I found new friends from different parts of the world.
8. I had my first Ramazan, Iftar, and Bayram experience.
9. I flew EasyJet and Airasia the first time.
10. I became more OC with things. I never stopped cleaning our flat.
11. I decided to teach in a refugee school. It was my first time to meet children from Iran, Iraq, Kurdistan,Somalia,Uganda, and Ethiopia.
12. I realized that BBC does better news report than CNN and FOX is just so annoyingly Pro-American.
13. I stopped reading news on Philippine Politics.
14. I discovered that there is always a Filipino/a every country I go and it helps to know them (the Pinoy mafia!).
15. I've mastered the art of converting currencies!

These are only the first few things I remember. I'm sure there are still a couple of entries I can add. This year was not the best of the lot but I had my defining moments. One of the things I learned just recently is the fact that people are more drawn to other people who do not give a darn on what they say. For some twisted reason, people nowadays are more drawn to negativity. When you are angry and you express it, you are said to be cool. When you say what you want without being sorry, you are regarded highly and sometimes thought of as somebody important. With the influx of information everywhere, it seems so hard to keep track of the truth and the ones that are valid. Everyone just wants to be the center of the show. Everyone has something to say about everything. It doesn't matter if it's useless info or not. (Note: I'm talking in general over here not just with blogging.)

2005 has been a year of contemplation for me. It was nice to step back and look how things were. I just hope, this coming year, there will be more people who will pay good things forward and just stop being angry.

As Master Yoda says...
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

Cheers to a New Year!

Posted by duke at 12/31/2005 08:48:00 AM



9 Comments:

Blogger dreaming-neko said...

it's been an exciting 2005, let's make it a greater 2006! happy new year, duke! :)

12/31/2005 11:35:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to be safe this New Year. I'm staying indoor and just watch the countdown on TV. Can you imagine what happened there in LKF few years back?

I find this year's blogging very entertaining because I 'bumped' into you. I just wish I have known you earlier on while you were still in HK.

Thank you for the kind words. Happy New Year!

12/31/2005 12:51:00 PM  

Blogger chuching said...

duke, glad to have bumped with you this year through blogging! based on your list, 2005 seemed really exciting. was it hard to live in different countries and experiencing different cultures at the same time? up to now, i'm still surprised with some Muslim traditions. anyway, take care and hope you have a great year ahead!

12/31/2005 01:20:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

2 summers in a year is not bad at all! for the 2 winters though, my condolences. heheeh. in 2006 make sure to come to france and visit me!

happy 2006 duke
-kala

12/31/2005 04:34:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you had a pretty good year.

feliz año nuevo, duke!

12/31/2005 09:54:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! You've done so much in just 1 year. Here's to an even better year ahead. Happy New Year!!!

1/01/2006 07:27:00 AM  

Blogger JO said...

wow! that's really accomplishing a lot in a year!

me and my kids did that too, in 2001, we travelled from manila to canada to manila to beijing to canada. kakapagod!!! (my kids were just 1 and 4 yrs old then)

happy new year duke!!!

1/02/2006 06:44:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, 3 countries in one year!? what would i give just to get the chance to live even in one country outside of the phils! at least, until the political circus is over. kelan kaya?

1/02/2006 08:24:00 PM  

Blogger duke said...

hi everyone!
thanks for all the comments. I hope you had a good new year celebration. Here's to a great 2006!

1/03/2006 12:12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Name:
Location: Istanbul, Türkiye

A first time mom to baby A living as an expat in Istanbul, Turkey.

My Indulgence

Recent Thoughts

My Daily Reads



Links and Infos

Counter
Web Site Counter



|