November 11, 2005

An Eager Beaver's Christmas

I've been playing Christmas songs the whole week and eagerly excited to put up our Chrstmas tree. I would love to put up a freshly cut pine and savor the aroma of pinewood inside our flat but I'm such an eager beaver that I am settling for my reliable plastic tree bought in toys 'r us way back in Hong Kong. When you step out of our flat though, you won't feel any christmas atmosphere. It all looks like an ordinary chilly day. People go about with their daily lives as usual. The highlighted event of the year over here is Ramazan and it just ended with bayram during the first week of November.

I've been reading Philippine news and can feel Christmas in the air. Pictures of lanterns or parols for sale, santa items, etcetera etcetera are highlighted. Even the stories and articles in the lifestyle sections are starting to have a christmas theme. I'm getting excited.

I love Christmas not just for the gifts but mainly for that certain warmth in people I feel. Take out the commercial aspects of it and you will see how people tend to become more loving,caring, thoughtful, and forgiving this time of the year.

In some countries though, especially the ones who experience winter, this is also the period when suicide attempts soar high. From what I understand, this has something to do with depression and the cold weather doesn't help much in alleviating it. In warmer countries like the Philippines, even if majority of the population are not so well off, I don't think suicide attempts soar high during Christmas time and being a Scrooge is not fashionable. You see, it's all about family and shiny happy people way back home. Sure, people get depressed over money and other material stuff but when you have a family who shares the burden with you, it makes a whole lot of difference. It's easier to get over depression over material things than deep sadness caused by being alone, cold and rejected, unappreciated, and unloved.

Below is one of my favorite Christmas songs. This was originally sang by Big Crosby but I'm listening to Diana Krall's version now. I would like to share the lyrics with you and wish you all a Merry Holidays!

Count Your Blessings (Instead of Sheep)

When I'm worried and I can't sleep
I count my blessings instead of sheep
And I fall asleep counting my blessings
When my bankroll is getting small
I think of when I had none at all
And I fall asleep counting my blessings

I think about a nursery and I picture curly heads
And one by one I count them as they slumber in their beds
If you're worried and you can't sleep
Just count your blessings instead of sheep
And you'll fall asleep counting your blessings

I think about a nursery and I picture curly heads
And one by one I count them as they slumber in their beds
If you're worried and you can't sleep
Just count your blessings instead of sheep
And you'll fall asleep counting your blessings

Posted by duke at 11/11/2005 11:57:00 AM



21 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Duke! Merry Christmas in advance! :-)

I miss the 'Christmas-y' atmosphere in the Philippines in November, I must admit. If ever, I will be away from home on Christmas Day and New Year's Eve for the third time in a row. :-( But I will not attempt suicide, hehe.

Switzerland has a high suicide rate during the Christmas season. Loose family ties, complemented by the cold, dreary weather here, cause people to take their own lives during an otherwise season of winter celebration. Sad no? Filipinos are more tenacious and resilient talaga. Kahit tag-hirap, parang hindi. :-) It's a blessing to be a Filipino.

Happy weekend!

11/11/2005 05:56:00 PM  

Blogger Owen said...

hey duke, merry christmas to you!

we're similar, ive been playing christmas songs since sept 1. i even set an alarm for it on my Outlook. ang sarap ng feeling di ba?

11/11/2005 06:53:00 PM  

Blogger MrsPartyGirl said...

pasko na nga pala! parang di ko pa feel kasi. siguro kailangan lang ako kantahan madalas ng ninang ko para ma-feel ko na :)

i love the xmas spirit sa pinas, parang ang saya-saya talaga. ibang-iba talaga ang feeling. i guess nasa sa atin na yun kung paano natin dadalhin yung spirit kahit nasaan man tayo no? :)

adv merry xmas!

11/11/2005 07:05:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here in HK, business as usual, people spend time shopping at every little things for xmas but the spirit is not as lovely as the weather. Sa atin, its the most celebrated event dahil XMAS is FAMILY and until now, I still pray for my gift di pa rin dumarating sa akin hehehe tagal na kase nun.

I feel the love around here.

11/11/2005 08:10:00 PM  

Blogger dreaming-neko said...

you're in such a cheery mood lately! you must have the holiday-bug! :)

i am the holiday grinch/scrooge~
ba hum bug :(

11/11/2005 09:25:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Duke! Me too, I am sooo into the Christmas spirit already! Hey, email me your home address so I can send you a Christmas card!!!! Do you have my email address?

Kala

11/11/2005 09:26:00 PM  

Blogger nixda said...

aga ng Pasko dito ah! tama ka, nakaka-depress talaga ang winter!
miss paskong pinoy. huhuhu

Christmas here means ...gifts, gifts and noch mehr geschenke. di mo feel ang tunay na diwa nito.

meri krismas ninang, handa mo na regalo ko. LOL

11/12/2005 11:36:00 AM  

Blogger Pia said...

happy christmas-tree-decorating! christmas (shopping) is indeed in the cold nippy air!

11/12/2005 10:57:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

love Christmas! and of course looking forward to Christmas presents! OF course!

11/13/2005 02:03:00 AM  

Blogger Abaniko said...

whether we like it or not, christmas is definitely in the air. we just put up our christmas tree today. happy holidays...in advance.

11/13/2005 12:50:00 PM  

Blogger duke said...

jayred I think we have one of the best christmas celebrations in the Philippines. The traditions, the family, the smiles, the songs, christmas parties in the office, school and the whole lot. Kaka miss! sarraaaaap!

Happy(Winter)Holidays!

Owen Merry Christmas to you too!

The songs just sets the mood so good! :D

Meeya hahahaha tama ka dyan! padala mo kay ninang yung I saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus song nya!baka lalo kang di bigyan ng aginaldo (lol)

true.saya saya sa pinas pag christmas!don't worry, you have your nina and husband dear plus friends and a couple of family with you there!that's the most important!

11/13/2005 12:55:00 PM  

Blogger duke said...

K For all you know, what you've been praying for will be your Christmas gift! :D
Have you seen Love Actually? It's such a nice movie. Good watch for the season!

Happy Holidays!

neko :D yes yes yes I am in such a jolly mood recently (sometimes I feel like Mrs. Santa Claus!)

don't be a grinch mister!!!! here's a warm hug for that scrooge in you :D

11/13/2005 01:05:00 PM  

Blogger duke said...

kala oh my! we do the same thing! I love sending postcards and christmas cards through snail mail. I don't have your email add.send me your address through my email dmcastello(at)gmail(dot)com

Happy Holidays!

Bakay ni Nenang dito christmas is not a big thing. It's juts like any ordinary day except for the few expats who are spending the holidays here.
Normally we all get together and have a dinner party.

meri krismas din! puede ba christmas card muna?

sha you so got used to the winter christmas! I'm sure it felt different to spend a warm christmas!one of the things i ove about christmas---> the food!miam miam!

11/13/2005 01:12:00 PM  

Blogger duke said...

pia Thank you! Happy (brrrr cold) Holidays!

Isay before I greet you a Merry Christmas I wish you a Happy Birthday first!

Exciting! daming gifts from hubby ---> birthday and christmas!

Abaniko saraaap ng feeling! Happy Holidays!

11/13/2005 01:16:00 PM  

Blogger DanieL said...

hi duke!

happy holidays. sabi nila iba daw mag-pasko sa pilipinas. siguro aside from the food, not being able to celebrate christmas in the philippines will be very sad.

will you be spending the holidays there?

11/14/2005 08:08:00 AM  

Blogger Dr. Emer said...

A Westerner would have probably died of misery in the Philippines. The rising prices, the unemployment, the whole gamut of preventable problems as simple as garbage and trafic is enough to drive someone to jump off a building. Filipinos, however, love to put humor in everything that happens to them, even bad ones --- especially bad ones --- and that makes us survive.

Christmas is always warmer here. Literally and figuratively. :)

11/14/2005 08:11:00 AM  

Blogger tintin said...

I cant wait to decorate my house for the first time! Whee! The Holidays are here!

11/14/2005 06:21:00 PM  

Blogger Flex J! said...

Wow!
Pasko na !

Pero parang ipo-postpone ni GMA yata...hehehehe joke!

Merry Chistmas!

11/15/2005 06:22:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

same feeling here, inspite of having xmas tree already set up at home, i really can't feel the coming festive season - coz well, here in Dubai, not all celebrate that!

hope to go back next year to celebrate xmas there! mas masaya!

11/15/2005 08:11:00 AM  

Blogger duke said...

Happ Holidays y'all!

Thanks for the greet and comments!

11/16/2005 01:58:00 AM  

Blogger hdpal said...

Wonderful

11/17/2005 01:34:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Name:
Location: Istanbul, Türkiye

A first time mom to baby A living as an expat in Istanbul, Turkey.

My Indulgence

Recent Thoughts

My Daily Reads



Links and Infos

Counter
Web Site Counter



|