June 02, 2005

Old School

I’ve been going back to UP for two days now to get my class cards for summer. Yesterday and today were the enrolment period and I figured that class cards will be out. Unfortunately, both my professors have not submitted their final grades yet, meaning, no class cards until now. My friend saw one of our teachers and asked her about it. She said she hasn’t submitted the grades but we shouldn’t worry because she never fails students in her class. Wow! In my entire stay in this university a couple of years back I never encountered such a teacher. I experience this now when grades do not really matter anymore to me. I took summer classes for pure basic learning. Not that it would be such a big matter to me back then since I was not running for honors or any standing. I was happy graduating with no failure marks.

This made me go back to my memories of my beloved State U and how things have changed from my time until now. Here are some things that are quite different and new to me when I took summer class this year.

1. Language Courses e.g. French 10,11, German 10,11,Spanish and the likes are now taken at the new CAL Building which is located at the back of the Faculty Center. Before, it was all taken at AS or Palma Hall.


2. The Green House which used to be a canteen is now an office.

3. The BA Building is now painted in an off white-cream color.

4. There are no more “tambayans” inside the AS Hall and even along the walkway going to Casaa. Most of them are in the area near Vinzon’s and CAL Building.

5. There is no more water in that small fishpond in AS101. The place looks so dead!

6. The Registrar is now located in an isolated area along the path going to the Math Building. I heard this is just a temporary location since they are building a new Registrar Building near the MBB Building.

7. There are so many student-like vendors who have backpacks selling you dried mangoes, macapuno candy and what have you when you are walking down the corridors, in the parking lot and believe it or not… in Class! Some have the nerve to knock and disrupt the class only to sell these items!

8. The IDs are not plastic laminated like before! Now they are more presentable.

9. AS is now locked up at a certain time and I think this goes for all other buildings.

10. Pasa Load is in every manong and manang stalls!!

As of the moment these are some of the things that changed as I remember my days as a UP student. Most of them are trivial matters but they were part of my memories of this school. Of course, Changes are always inevitable. They come with time. But I assure you that some of the things you and I have grown to love in this University never changed at all.

1. Those cool acacia trees that cover the university grounds and inspire you to jog whether at five in the morning or afternoon.

2. The passion of the students when it comes to learning and how they always seem smarter and know better information than us.

3. The bluebooks you bought for exams.

4. The Fish balls and Squid balls near the dormitories.

5. The wide choices of P.E. you can take. They even added Yoga and Pilates!

6. Rodic’s Tapsilog at the Shopping Center still looks and tastes the same.

7. The duckpin bowling area has the same manual system. Manual as in the guy who puts the pins up will shout at you when you are over your turn.

8. The reliability of the Shopping Center when it comes to photocopying, book binding, ring binding, and cheap internet access.

9. The freedom of choice and speech of the students.

10. The look on the freshies faces as they get lost in this huge campus and how you tried to keep a straight face and give a fake answer when they asked which building is TBA. (To Be Announced) hihi…

Posted by duke at 6/02/2005 07:16:00 PM



2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A few months ago, I went back to UP with my fiance. I think that alumna have the same sort of memories...

6/03/2005 06:21:00 AM  

Blogger duke said...

Mik...So true! I owe a lot to UP.

6/03/2005 10:36:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Name:
Location: Istanbul, Türkiye

A first time mom to baby A living as an expat in Istanbul, Turkey.

My Indulgence

Recent Thoughts

My Daily Reads



Links and Infos

Counter
Web Site Counter



|