May 29, 2005

Par Avion

My husband is scared of flying.This proved to be so ironic because his job entails him to fly over different continents most of the time. In spite of this, he still dreaded the thought of airlines and airplanes.When we flew to France from HongKong via Cathay Pacific he was such a wreak. During take off and landing, his hands were cold and sweating. He was continuously drinking alcohol to level his head the whole thirteen hour flight and to top it all ,he did not sleep the whole trip. You can imagine how he bugged me most of the time asking how I could sleep inside the plane without any problems.Each small turbulence would cause him panic and ask me if everything will be fine.

I asked X,my husband, what made him develop fear of flying and true enough he had a near death experience in Thailand with a small plane.From then on ,he was always unsure and scared to fly.

A couple of days ago,X had to fly from Istanbul to Nice, France.The shortest and fastest way was via Turkish Airlines since they have a direct flight. Unfortunately, Liverpool was playing AC Milan in Istanbul for the Champions League Finals.That means most of the flights were fully booked.X had no choice but to land in Zurich,Switzerland and then take a smaller plane to Nice via SwissAir. I knew that this was going to be a panic moment moment for him again and was I right!

When X was about to take the plane to Nice in Zurich, he had one of his panic attacks. Already inside the plane, he decides to NOT take the flight. His reason, the plane was too small. He gets off the plane before it took off for Nice and figured to take the train. So, instead of enduring a one hour flight to Nice he ended up taking the train from Zurich to Milan then Nice. That entailed almost 15 hours of journey!

My father in law sent me an email explaining my husband's complicated journey.I couldn't help but feel bad for my husband. I can only imagine how hard it is for him to be in that plane that he decided to take a 15 hour train ride instead of enduring a one hour flight. His parents were telling me he is such a clown for doing that and we now just laugh about it but I know deep inside his fear flying is really something not to be laughed at.

Posted by duke at 5/29/2005 09:29:00 PM



2 Comments:

Blogger marikit said...

isn't your hubby's phobia something a doctor can help him with? kawawa naman. :(

6/03/2005 08:08:00 PM  

Blogger duke said...

sabi ng doctor theonly way to solve it is to conquer his fear. di ba nag vague non? ibig sabihin he needs to have that courage to take it.. super awa na din ako!

6/03/2005 08:32:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Name:
Location: Istanbul, Türkiye

A first time mom to baby A living as an expat in Istanbul, Turkey.

My Indulgence

Recent Thoughts

My Daily Reads



Links and Infos

Counter
Web Site Counter



|