July 30, 2005

SHORTlisted

Why do we love tall men?

Click here for the answer.

When I was in college, one classmate of mine asked our professor if, by any chance, will we have problems getting into our practicum and even landing a job just because we weren't tall enough. We thought at that time that it was sort of a trick question and more of a joke but looking back, I now know that, of course, she had a valid question and I was quite interested with what our teacher had to say about this.

Actually, this question concerned me as well. Like most Filipinas, I am on the shorter end of the rope when it comes to height. Height plays a very important role in my course being Hotel and Restaurant Administration. Like what every one else was saying, to get a job in a deluxe hotel in Manila, you have to be at least 5 feet 4 inches tall. Jeez! I was at least 2 inches shorter than the required height! At that time, I felt empowered and didn't feel that my height would hinder me to reach higher grounds. I was very optimistic and proud then. I would always tell myself I'd rather be smart and cute than tall and dumb( ok ok.. I was just some kid who knew nothing during those times!!).

Then I got into my first job interview. There were 3 girls in the room including me. Both girls were taller than me BUT they do not have any hotel background so I THOUGHT had an ace up my sleeve. To my dismay, their height was more of a consideration than my hotel background. I did not get the position and later on was offered another position which was in F&B ( Food and Beverage). Thus, I ended up waiting tables in a posh bar in one of the five star hotels in Manila. I got the job because of my people and bartending skills.

I enjoyed this job and I had a blast meeting new people every night plus watching all the top bands in the country perform for free but I had more in mind.I wanted to go up the corporate ladder so I applied for a position in Banquet Sales. I got a lateral move and became an "office" person stuck in front of a computer typing proposals for all upcoming wedding,birthdays, and what have you events in the hotel. I learned the ins and outs of Events Management here and went further by moving back to F&B once again. This time, I did not just wait tables, I made the agreements in the contracts between the hotel and the client happen.I was a Manager! I was in the physical side of Events Management making sure that everything turns out well in every function.

It ws not an easy task to be a manager.I found out that some organizers would not take me seriously thinking that I am too young to be a banquet manager and that my physical appearance ( picture my small frame in a corporate suit walking up and down a function room giving orders and sometime shouting at the waiters where to position the tables and how to put on a dance floor).Sometimes, they would ask me to get the person who was in charge of set up and would always be surprised to find out that it was indeed my myself and no one else.... Hahahaha! I love the look on their faces. The first reaction would be can this girl really command the set up for the wedding? or are they sure they put this girl to be in charge of the Prime Minister's functions?

Did I care? Not at all. I just did my job the best I can. For sure there will always be those little prejudice from people (e.g. you look so small and fragile and we don't think you can handle it) but even if there are more and more taller people who get shortlisted for the higher positions and get the better stuff in life, In my short little steps, I am meaning to get there.

Oh and by the way, if you were wondering what my professor said to my classmate's question..

she said...

" Height only becomes an issue when you make it an issue. In a normal work environment, people are chosen because of their skills and qualifications and height just becomes a factor when all things are equal between two candidates. Taller people will obviously get more attention but they also have to prove more."

But then again... Reality check please....
In the Philippines alone, I recently spoke to the HR Director of the hotel I used to work in and she said they now have an unwritten requirement of height for "frontliners"( meaning staff who interact with guests).The applicants should be at least 5'5" for the ladies and 5'7" for the gents. Jeez! If I apllied now for my old job, I wouldn't even pass the unwritten requirement! tsk tsk tsk...

Posted by duke at 7/30/2005 06:13:00 PM



24 Comments:

Blogger nikki said...

buti na lang hindi requirement sa amin ang height!

i know how you feel kasi i do get similar reactions from patients' relatives especially since i also look younger than my age. but once they see me in action, they know i mean business.

7/30/2005 07:29:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No wonder I was declined by the United Airlines years back when they had an open interview at TST. The requirements didn't actually specified heights - I was interviewed by these 4 saff infront of the 500 pre-picked candidates, apparently they said, "sir, i don't think airlines would hire a midget" hahaha, I was like a midget? I'm 5 foot 4 inches - I mean cmon Asians are small.

So you're a 'hotelier'? Banqueting is an exciting job hosting events and the likes.In which hotel did you work while in HK?

7/30/2005 07:37:00 PM  

Blogger duke said...

nikki- i'm glad you can totally relate! and isn't it a good feeling to show them that you are more than what they think you are!

7/30/2005 08:08:00 PM  

Blogger duke said...

knoizki-- hahaha! i know in airlines they purposely get taller people so that they can help the shorter people open the compartments ;) well.. that was their excuse...

yes I am a hotelier. I was working in Cafe Kool in Kowloon Shang when I was there.Since my cantonese was not that good ( just enough not to get lost and know what they talk about) I didn't work in banquet in HK .

7/30/2005 08:11:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Duke,

I (really) don't get it: why is there a height requirement in order to work in the hotel industry? I've been mulling over this, and can't seem to come up with a reasonable answer.

7/30/2005 11:08:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The reason why my height didn't become a hindrance in terms of my job hunting pursuit is knowing which job to apply to that doesn't require being tall. So, I never dared to even think of becoming a stewardess. hehe... There were times in my life though that I wished I was tall. My parents and my brother are tall except myself.

7/31/2005 04:46:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi..blog hop lan! well, i felt the same way..i failed a lot of interviews when i landed here due to height (how rude!) & i guess now they realized they lost BIG TIME for not hiring me!

eheh well until now i wish i'm atleast 4 inch taller..haha f/a won't fit my height!=)

nice thought!

7/31/2005 07:57:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How True! I like this post. When I was still working in the Philippines it was pretty hard for me when I worked at a construction firm. Not only was I small but I was also a woman. Most engineers did not take me seriously and owners often preferred talking to my workmate who was tall and male (not to mention gwapo). Mas may dating siguro. Daunting, isn't it?

7/31/2005 01:37:00 PM  

Blogger duke said...

hi gigi!

well the only reason I can think of why the hotel industry prefer to have taller staff is the overall "image" and impression that it gives the hotel. Tall people always catches ones attention and command a certain kind of "aura" they say that cannot be seen in the smaller ones.. it's supposed to be a perfect environment.. so i guess that follows that a perfect hotel scenario should be beauty, brains and height at your service...
(oh typing that gives me the shivers!)

7/31/2005 03:44:00 PM  

Blogger duke said...

evi and pobs - ahhh sometimes I do still wish I was a little bit taller :) just to feel and see how things would be different ;)

patrice- ahh construction firms! always if not most of the time male dominated.It doesn't really help a lot to be petite and female at the same time in this business lalo na pag kasama mo are the big boys!but it is a nice feeling though when you are with your colleagues. The men tend to be more caring and lesser office chismis :)

7/31/2005 03:51:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Duke - as someone who met you originally when you were working in the hotel and I was a guest - I can at least say the height was irrelevant. Actually - you were the cutest :) and the most sociable and from the "boys" point of view - that was relevant!

5 San Migs and a Sambucca please ;)

8/01/2005 01:15:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alam mo duke, kahi't mali dahil it falls under discrimination, totoo 'yan dito sa Pinas. Sa mga karanasan ko, ang daling ma-intimidate ng mga tao pag medyo matangkad kasi parang looking down at them ang dating and vice versa, pag maliit ka naman lagi kang nakatingala sa mas mataas sa iyo. (I'm a little tallish, by the way 5'6). Tapos pag magsusuot pa ako ng high heeled shoes, medyo iiwasan ka na ng maliliit na tao . Nakakainis 'yon, ano!. Kaya nga lagi akong naka-pumps o rubber shoes dati with S. kasi 5'8 lang siya. At sino din kaya ang nagsabing dapat ay laging mas matangkad ang lalaki sa babae? Kakainis kaya!

8/01/2005 02:24:00 AM  

Blogger UNCLE FOTO. said...

teka me nagsabi sa akin, pantay pantay lang daw tayong lahat pag nakahiga.

totoo kaya ito, wala kasi akong time na sukatin mga naging katabi ko.

hmnn, sorry pag me pagka green, kaya lang ito lang ang naiisip kong analogy. psensia nalang ho, (ngiti)

8/01/2005 04:58:00 AM  

Blogger Noemi said...

kung maliit ka sa 5'2 ano na ako sa 4'11?bwehehehe
Dapat talaga mabago yang height requirements na iyan sa pagkuha ng trabaho (lalo na dito sa 'pinas)para fair sa lahat, kasi di mo naman makikita ang kakayahan at katalinuhan ng tao sa height di ba?...bwehehehe
have a nice day duke!

8/01/2005 12:25:00 PM  

Blogger duke said...

hi sha- amen to that! at sosyal pa---> yachting in the mediterannean!

8/01/2005 04:16:00 PM  

Blogger duke said...

hey luke- thanks for the sweet comment :) a shot of sambucca to you on your birthday!

8/01/2005 04:17:00 PM  

Blogger duke said...

nao - in love..nothing matters! higs to you :)

bel - naku ganyan talaga ang tingin ng mga tao laging may konting taas ng kilay pag hindi ka pareha ng majority! di bale bel, look at Uma thurman and katie holmes and mga boyfriend ay mas maliit sa kanila!

air milikay - dapat ang tawag ko sayo GEANT VERT! the green giant! hahahahhaa

noemi- dapat talaga wag gawing qualification sa work yan unless kailangan talaga for the work!

8/01/2005 04:24:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

tama yung professor mo. height is really never an issue but assuming all things are equal, biased talaga sila sa mga matatangkad.

i think ganun din sa face value. i recently watched an episode of "imbestigador" and may experiment sila about that. tsk tsk tsk...pero ganun talaga. realidad ng buhay.

as for me, im 5'7.5" but my ex-bfs were mostly 5'6" lang. i wear high heeled shoes all the time pa, hehe! height was never an issue to me. (medyo off-topic, sorry but nevertheless about height pa rin, hehe!)

8/02/2005 01:38:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think height requirements are overrated, plus discriminating. or am i just bitter because im feet feet tall? hehee. but seriously, this post got me thinking about the new UPCAT rule: only the top 15% students in different highschools are allowed to take the UPCAT exams. at least in hotellerie (term?) you can assert your skills and prove people wrong. but stuff like this new UPCAT rule just feels wrong, like other students aren't given equal opportunities. Sad.
-Kala

8/02/2005 03:01:00 AM  

Blogger duke said...

barenaked - it is so nice to hear that height was never an issue for you in choosing your bfs.. I'm sure maraming guys ang matutuwa :)but kidding aside, it is plain reality that people are always discerning whenit comes to height and face value plus it wouldn't hurt if you have lots of connections.. ( special mention sa pinas)

kala- welcome back! jeez.. that UPCAT requirement is literally killing the chance and dreams of a lot of students. As we all know, just because you are on the top 15 per cent of your class means you are the "creme de la creme" there are students out there who acn pass the UPCAT without being inthe top 15 per cent.. this is really sad news...

8/02/2005 08:40:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hehehe. I gotta tell you, Jill and I have thought about applying as a character for HK Disney, unfortunately, they have a height limit of 5'7". So my no hope na ako don. Actually, OK na yung petite who looks young, kesa yung petite who looks old!

Well, height doesn't necessarily project an image of "old". Lots of clients of mine think I'm only in my early 20s. :) Papasa ba? Hehe.


-Niña

8/03/2005 03:23:00 PM  

Blogger moonpool said...

I wanted to be a pilot sana like my dad. HUHU... Yes, it's very difficult when I facilitate meetings... Aside from being short, I look so much younger than my peers. Hay... But well, that's the way things are, and I still love myself. :)

8/03/2005 06:11:00 PM  

Blogger duke said...

nins!

I can't believ you applied! how nice naman but I didn't expect that they will have a maximum height requirement! what is the reason? so weird!

I thin height does not project an image that youa re "old" per se. It just can command attention easily...

moonpool- way to go girl! just like you I love myself.. at least we can prove our talents and abilities in other ways!

8/03/2005 08:19:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess Disney doesn't want Cinderella or Pocahontas or any other Character to tower over the people. Kids sometimes get scared of tall people. Besides, it'll be much harder for them to find a Prince Charming who's over 6 feet tall.

-Niña

8/04/2005 02:10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Name:
Location: Istanbul, Türkiye

A first time mom to baby A living as an expat in Istanbul, Turkey.

My Indulgence

Recent Thoughts

My Daily Reads



Links and Infos

Counter
Web Site Counter



|