June 24, 2005

Circumcision Party, Anyone?

Last night, my husband and I attended a party of one of his local staff, Hassan. You see, Hassan's son just got circumcised and they are throwing a big party for him. This is like the equivalent of an 18th birthday for a girl but here in Istanbul, it is normally for boys aged 7-9 years old. The guests of the party has to give the boy a gold coin which was worth around 50USD as a gift(This was a minimum gift .. take note!). I still do not know the reason behind this but I will research and see the whole story about this tradition....

It was my first party here and I as excited. It was held in a hotel which was situated in a 300 year old fortress and there were around 200 guests for the said party.When we arrived, most of the guests have arrived and we were the only foreigners in the party! We did not feel out of place since the people were very accommodating and helpful. The party was just like a normal birthday party but this time, they were celebrating the circumcision of their son.The boy's already in a happy mode. Probably his "patutuy" was cut a couple of weeks back! There was a live band and music was playing all throughout dinner. Dinner was of course Turkish cuisine which comprised of stuffed eggplant and bell peppers , some cheese, tomatoes, beef and fruits for dessert. After dinner there were lots of dancing ( and I mean dancing!!!!). Everyone just started to dance. It was more of a family thing to dance and the beat was just so lively that you will feel the joy they have while dancing! Around 11pm my husband and I decided to leave the party while everyone was still dancing the night away. It was definitely a good circumcision party!

How come we never had that in Pinas? No one threw a party for my brother when he had his circumcision! It was just our friendly neighborhood manong who did it and my dad was with him. After the incident, my bro waited for it to heal and we all went on with our normal lives... Here, they do parties for it! :)

Posted by duke at 6/24/2005 05:31:00 PM



9 Comments:

Blogger Punzi said...

Do you get to watch the actual circumscision?

6/25/2005 04:19:00 AM  

Blogger duke said...

God forbid! NO!!! just get to party with them after :) hahaha

6/25/2005 06:39:00 PM  

Blogger marikit said...

sana may pics.. :)

6/25/2005 07:05:00 PM  

Blogger silentmode_v2 said...

when my dad took me and my cousin to be circumcised, he treated us first to jollibee then without us knowing.. *bam* nauna ang party bago ang tuli...hehe

6/26/2005 08:54:00 AM  

Blogger Analyse said...

nakapalda ba yung celebrant? hehe, it's nice to learn about other country's culture...it's my first time to hear about that!

6/26/2005 10:15:00 PM  

Blogger Teacher Sol said...

I remember when my brother was circumcised in grade 3, all his friends and siblings were playing jokes at him. nakapalda sya at maya't maya ang silip kung nangangamatis na...hahaha. i guess that isn't a good experience for boys in Pinas!

6/27/2005 05:34:00 AM  

Blogger duke said...

analyse & teacher sol: hindi na sha nakapalda! naka pants na :) at sayaw pa ng sayaw! :)sayang I wasn't able to take pictures ;)

6/27/2005 06:38:00 PM  

Blogger tintin said...

That sounds like a fun tradition!

6/27/2005 10:07:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha..haven't heard that term "patutuy" in a long time! That made me laugh! Celebrate sila kasi finally, pwede na makagawa ng bata anak nila. The line must continue. Hehe.

6/28/2005 03:20:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Name:
Location: Istanbul, Türkiye

A first time mom to baby A living as an expat in Istanbul, Turkey.

My Indulgence

Recent Thoughts

My Daily Reads



Links and Infos

Counter
Web Site Counter



|