February 01, 2006

On Choices

Life priorities always vary with people. I know some friends whose lifelong dream and priority is to get married and have a family. Some value their career more than anything else. Others wouldn't care less as long as they are famous and popular while there are those who will do anything within their reach to earn all the money they can.

Everyday, from the moment we wake up, we are presented with choices and decisions. They range from trivial matters such as bacon and eggs for breakfast, coffee and cigarettes or just plain skipping morning meals to the more difficult choices such as firing thousands of employees in a company, choosing the life of a mother or a child during birth, or deciding when to start or stop war resulting to thousands of lives changed forever.

When we reach a certain age, we start realizing how all these little things matter. That every little choice we make contribute to the bigger picture no matter how trivial they may be. Conscious or unconsciously done, these choices change the outcome of our priorities.

When I was younger it was so easy to list down my priorities. Now, I need to weigh in a couple of factors before I give an answer. I guess now I know better that the world does not revolve around me just like when I was a child. I am now part of it and I need to make my own decisions just like everybody else. I'm just grateful that I never had to make choices that will affect more lives other than the ones within my circle. I'm just a small potato compared to everybody else. My everyday decisions involve going to the grocery, choosing the right cheese for pasta, deciding whether to take a taxi or a dolmus, or choosing which book to read for the day.

My life is not complicated and my goals and priorities are more simpler than I imagined when I was younger. No matter what our priorities in life are, it all goes down to us being happy or unhappy with the choices we make.

Am I happy with my choice? I would never trade it for the world!



Posted by duke at 2/01/2006 01:37:00 AM



12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Choices we make, path we take.. crossroads we encounter.. lead to the same things. The only difference is that we make the right choices, paths and roads we decide on. Friends are there, the good, the bad, the horrible..

I hope we just need to stop saying "I had no choice'. All we have to do is make it right and find time to actually do it.

I'm quite surprised.. I enjoyed this post.

What is a Dolmus, btw?

2/01/2006 01:36:00 PM  

Blogger duke said...

Hi K!

True. As long as we are living, we will always have a choice.
Thanks for reading this post.
A dolmus is the turkish version of an FX taxi in manila. I am planning to write a post about it :D

2/01/2006 01:50:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i totally agree..

as for me, i don't regret any choices i made as well..but now, i'm in the middle of choosing and a bit having a hard time on this!

2/01/2006 02:45:00 PM  

Blogger JO said...

yes, we choose the life we want to lead... we make our own choices and nobody can make it for us...

so if one live a terrible life, there's nobody else to blame but oneself for choosing to have a terrible life.

2/01/2006 04:09:00 PM  

Blogger MrsPartyGirl said...

very introspective naman this post. :) you're very right sis. wika nga ni gino padilla: we are the result of the choices we make.

we dont always choose the path that's right, but it's what we make out of it that defines us. :)

2/01/2006 06:31:00 PM  

Blogger JoobJoo said...

Hey! Just dropped by and noticed your new post.

Whatever you choose in life be it bad or good, you should never regret. Optimism is the only way to keep our sanity. If regrets tug on your sleeves just move on and face the next choice that needs to be decided upon.

2/01/2006 09:15:00 PM  

Blogger mr_diaz said...

haayy... minsan talaga naiisip ko, what if... pero sa ngayon habang tumatagal alam ko na tama ang naging desisyon at priority ko

2/02/2006 07:54:00 AM  

Blogger Owen said...

well written duke!

i cant say anything further. as long one is happy, that's all it matters!

Cheers to lifelong happiness!

2/02/2006 09:39:00 AM  

Blogger tin-tin said...

no regrets...

as you said it, everyday we're faced with choices. and to make the right decisions, pray :)

2/02/2006 10:59:00 AM  

Blogger Analyse said...

way to go, duke! just be responsible of the results of whatever choices you've made, and you're on the right track. most of us kasi blame bad experiences to 'destiny' or 'kagustuhan ng Dios'.

hey, still snowing? ingat sa 'grippe aviare'!

2/05/2006 06:17:00 PM  

Blogger Gayzha said...

I just remember one of my favorite ads when i was in grade school ... it says "It got to be the best to be a....Ladies' Choice.... It got to be the best to be a Ladies' Choice... Ladies Choice Mayonaise!"

Life is really full of choices!

2/06/2006 06:25:00 AM  

Blogger duke said...

Hi all!

thanks for all the comments. Blogger has been having some glitches recently and my previous comments went kaput!

2/06/2006 07:07:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Name:
Location: Istanbul, Türkiye

A first time mom to baby A living as an expat in Istanbul, Turkey.

My Indulgence

Recent Thoughts

My Daily Reads



Links and Infos

Counter
Web Site Counter



|