January 22, 2006

Hair Talks

One of the perks of living in another country is having friends of different nationalities. This becomes the door to a whole new culture exploration. Never did I expect to have friends from Georgia, Uzbekistan, Bulgaria, even as far as the African country of Eritrea.

I remember, when I got introduced to some people from Eritrea. When they mentioned that they are from this country, I tried to remember my history and geography and figured out which part of the world is Eritrea. Obviously I was not as familiar as I thought I was with African Geography and History. I just smiled and pretended I knew where the country was. In the course of the conversation, I was able to ask some questions that lead me to knowing that Eritrea used to be a part of and was at war with Ethiopia and the capital is Asmara.

Here in Istanbul, one of my good and closest friend,S is originally from Poland. S and I have so many things in common despite our different backgrounds. She's my constant shopping partner, lunch date, and drinking buddy. Physically speaking, we are opposites. She's as white as paper and I'm chocolate brown. Her height is considered average in her country which is around 5'6" and my height is considered average in the Philippines which is basically anything higher than five feet. The most striking difference between us though is our hair color. S is a natural blonde and I have the typical Asian Black Hair.

Once we were at lunch, we started talking about our hair and hair products. During the course of conversation we ended up touching each others mane and comparing the texture. It was hilarious!

Down at the restaurant, we looked funny comparing each other's hair. She couldn't believe how think my hair was and I couldn't believe how thin her hair was. One strand of my hair is probably equivalent to 15 strands of her hair. Then we wondered, it's either I have really thick hair or she really has thin hair.

We then exchanged haircare tips and shared brands of shampoos and conditioners we use. I for one, am a fan of Citre Shine. We had a laugh learning the name of my friend's shampoo.

It's aptly called Dumb Blonde!

Posted by duke at 1/22/2006 08:03:00 PM



12 Comments:

Blogger niceheart said...

Cute and interesting story.

I once worked with a black girl. In one of our conversations, we talked about her cornrows. I was curious if she had to undo her braids every night and do them again in the morning. I found out that she would leave her braids for days and that she didn't wash her hair everyday. Which was quite a surprise to me because we pinoys have the habit of washing our hair everyday, I guess, because of the hot weather in the Phils. But even if we move to cold countries, we still shower and wash our hair everyday. Well, maybe I'm just speaking for myself.

1/22/2006 09:33:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

duke, peeps would ask me ano daw secret ng soft hair ko

I just say no secret GENES DNA hahha

1/23/2006 12:17:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

BWAHAHAHA@GENES DNA.

Oh my, i got these kinky imagination about "hairs" now. I noticed that to all Asian women, sabi nga sa new add ng shampoo sa Pinas, I'm not sure if this is right, it says:

"Kahit maglagay ka man daw ng magandang make-up, kahit maglagay ka din daw ng mabangong perfume, kahit magsuot ka man daw ng magandang damit kung hindi daw maganda ang buhok mo PANGET ka pa rin."

Depende sa buhok siguro. hehehe.

1/23/2006 08:53:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

cOoL..i haven't had any conversation w/ a foreign friend w/ regards to hair!

and the brand name? really funny! hehehhe

1/24/2006 07:31:00 AM  

Blogger Analyse said...

hehe, nice brand name!

asian thick black hair. what's our secret? everybody's asking me how i keep my hair black and shiny...oh well, kung alam lang nila, when i'm in a saloon in pinas, their first remark is naku maam, ang dry ng hair nyo, gusto nyo i-hot oil natin, o mas maganda rebond na lang natin hehe. ganun ka desperate case ng hair ko hehe..

1/24/2006 09:45:00 PM  

Blogger tintin said...

That is too funny! I remember being in 5th grade, my first time being in a caucasian-filled class. I was standing in line with my classmate who was blonde and I reached over and stroked her hair. "So soft", I mumbled like a freak. To her credit she just took it in stride. God, I am cracking up just thinking about it. You made me remember!

1/25/2006 12:48:00 AM  

Blogger Gayzha said...

hi duke,

You are really genuinely sweet person, and it does not surprise me that you attract a lot of genuine friends as well... hope you remain sweet as you are !

1/25/2006 07:43:00 AM  

Blogger Raquel said...

This post reminded me of a conversation I had with some co-workers. There was this girl from NZ whose hair I have always secretly admired. Kasi medyo wavy without being kinky and she could style it quite nicely. In that conversation she said she always wanted straight, shiny hair like mine! I told her my hair couldn't hold a curl (unless I put heaps of product in it) and I admitted I've always admired her hair. We both had a good laugh bout it. Funny how women could bond over talk of hair and hair products! :P

1/25/2006 01:15:00 PM  

Blogger tin-tin said...

the hair is a woman's crowning glory as they say. and i guess this is quite right. we girls would really spend lots of time in a salon. and really choose a shampoo or hair products that would make our hair shiny. see,even using Dumb Blonde! hehehe :)

1/26/2006 06:58:00 AM  

Blogger Owen said...

Im sure you will be comparing your eyebrows next time.

Dumb Blonde? Can that be real? Hillarious!

1/26/2006 05:40:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

tintin- im laughing at your 'so soft' hair-stroking experience! Lol!
Duke, i checked the bed head website and oculdn't help laughing at their disclaimer, which states that you must have a sense of humor to use their products. hahahah!
-kala

1/26/2006 11:58:00 PM  

Blogger duke said...

Hi everyone!

thanks for leaving those interesting comments. I was smiling reading all of them. :D

1/27/2006 03:03:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Name:
Location: Istanbul, Türkiye

A first time mom to baby A living as an expat in Istanbul, Turkey.

My Indulgence

Recent Thoughts

My Daily Reads



Links and Infos

Counter
Web Site Counter



|