April 25, 2006

Two to Tango?

The past two weeks has been a blah to me. I was trying to be philosophical over things that I do not really need to worry about. I was asking myself beauty pageant type questions in the line of "what is the essence of being a woman ( but I couldn't come up with a smart Sushmita Sen-like answer)." I was thinking and worrying too much about trivial things. I guess, that's the result of having a lot of extra time to spare.

Funny though, I couldn't really remember how my day went. Time goes by so fast it becomes scary. I read tons of blogs and all sorts of crap in the internet and the next thing I know, three hours just went by. The thing is, when I go out for a walk,time seems to go slow.

I recently declined an invitation to go out for a drink with a group of people since I had my monthly bookclub meeting. My friend ( the one who invited me) remarked : " C'mon, there are more productive ways to spend your time than be in a bookclub." I honestly didn't know what to say and just gave out a weak laugh. Am I becoming a bore just because I attend a bookclub meeting? Is it better to party, consume barrels of beer, talk nonsense and get a bad hangover the next day?

I'm in need of a little bit of intellectual stimulation. It gets too easy and boring to do the same things over and over. That is why, when I watched my friend's dance lessons of Tango, Argentinian version, I wanted to sign up. I never took dancing classes. I firmly believe I don't have the body rhythm for it but, I wouldn't mind to take a plunge and see how it goes. I was already asking some of my Turkish girl friends to teach me belly dancing and I find myself struggling with it what more tango and all the fancy footworks.

I will try to convince my other half to go with me to this dance lessons. I have a feeling he will say no. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

By the way, I went to the bookclub and managed to convince my other group of friends to reschedule the night out and go out with them at the same time. I'm such a people-pleaser. I just can't say No!

Posted by duke at 4/25/2006 07:41:00 PM



10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've watched this story from the 20mins Plus news the other day where Tango has simply become the direct synonym for Argentina. Even the parents of these young ones signed them in just to learn the dance until they become a real good dancer.

I learned from that episode that these kind of dance is about being passionate and not just about learning the steps. Easy? Not really. It includes the embracing. They have this bar where you can dance all night till 6am, grab your partner (whoever that is available) and dance along. Imagine how you can socialize with people in a sweaty bar just to dance. In short, "the dance" started out as some form of a relationship between the prosti and a pimp. Hehehe.

But hey, you should have a partner in case you sign in. Methinks: "me"?

4/25/2006 09:04:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's no such episode called 20mins Plus. 60mins Plus, pala. Kilala mo si BOBO KO? Ako yun. ;)

4/25/2006 09:11:00 PM  

Blogger duke said...

K Really? Thosea re some interesting facts. No wonder when I was watching the dance, it seemed very passionate and intense.

LMAO on 20 Mins Plus. It happens dearie.
I still need a dance partner. You volunteering? :)

4/25/2006 09:32:00 PM  

Blogger JoobJoo said...

It seems like you are bored. Maybe you should take an artistic hobby besides book clubs and dancing. You might even make money out of it. I ask the same questions too but I just cant find spare time for me to do anything productive. You could probably volunteer in a community service thingy or something. Personally my 3 dogs keep me busy with the time left after work. Now that is pretty boring ha ha ha ha.

4/25/2006 10:50:00 PM  

Blogger duke said...

Meliza No I am not bored at all. I am doing some volunteer work right now and it does keep me busy. I just want to be anti social and stop drinking and partying most of the time.
I promised myself to always try soemthing new that's why I wanted to do the dancing thing.

4/25/2006 11:15:00 PM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would say that you are becoming more mature in your pursuits in life. Maybe, you are veering away from the "party life" and thinking that there are more sensible things to do that dance the whole night and get drunk ;)

4/26/2006 03:17:00 AM  

Blogger MrsPartyGirl said...

hey duke, good luck with your (hopefully matuloy na) terpsichorean endeavor :D it's not only fun, but it's also a great form of exercise. and, if you do it with the hubby, all that passion and romance will surely add sizzle to your marriage, hehe. good luck!

4/26/2006 07:17:00 AM  

Blogger duke said...

Pat So True. I thought I was over that stage where I just go out and party. Obviously, that's the easiest way to meet friends over here. I'm not complaining but you are right,surely, there are more sensible things that I have yet discovered.

meeya Thank you! I hope so too. I also think it is a great form of exercise and it's so much fun! :)

4/26/2006 11:46:00 AM  

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoy groove dancing with Milky when there are many clubs like Joe Bananas play those kind of beat. Would you believe I was on the MTV caught dancing "Lambada" contest held at Joe Bananas (many years ago). Kakahiya. I'm a pimpey dance-goer. Even at school that time in HS, I'd volunteer. Somewhere in my younger years (6 I think), my Mom would carry me to the "Fiestahan" and let the "one way ticket" music played and dance to it. Hahaha.

4/26/2006 12:08:00 PM  

Blogger duke said...

K oh my! as in the choo-choo-train... one way ticket song??

how on earth id dyou dance to that??

4/26/2006 07:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Name:
Location: Istanbul, Türkiye

A first time mom to baby A living as an expat in Istanbul, Turkey.

My Indulgence

Recent Thoughts

My Daily Reads



Links and Infos

Counter
Web Site Counter



|